In AD 75, on the very edge of their empire, the Roman legions built a Roman fort at Caerleon to defend the river crossing.
According to legend, in the late 5th century Saint Woolos church was founded by Saint Gwynllyw, the patron saint of Newport and King of Gwynllwg.
During the raid the town of Newport was badly burned and Saint Woolos church destroyed.
In the 14th century friars came to Newport where they built an isolation hospital for infectious diseases.
After its closure the hospital lived on in the place name "Spitty Fields" (a corruption of ysbyty, the Welsh for hospital).
By 1521, Newport was described as having "....a good haven coming into it, well occupied with small crays [merchant ships] where a very great ship may resort and have good harbour." Trade was thriving with the nearby ports of Bristol and Bridgwater and industries included leather tanning, soap making and starch making.
The town's craftsmen included bakers, butchers, brewers, carpenters and blacksmiths. During the English Civil War in 1648 Oliver Cromwell's troops camped overnight on Christchurch Hill overlooking the town before their attack on the castle the next day.
It was the site of the last large-scale armed insurrection in Britain, the Newport Rising of 1839 led by the Chartists. The City of Newport, which includes some surrounding rural areas as well as the built up area, is governed by Newport City Council.